DASAVATHARAM

Here's to all who have been waiting for Dasavatharam.As all of you might know its releasing on april 25th,this friday!
Im thrilled and excited to get the CD in my hand and see my name in it lol...It was a two year long process for me to have sung the Hindi,Tamil and Telugu versions of my song in Dasa. I was approached for the song and was told that they were not too sure if my voice would suit the song but nevertheless wanted me to sing it in hope that it worked out...As if that was not enough pressure,there 10 minutes before the stated time of recording was the man Kamalji himself pacing up and down the studio with Gauthami sitting on the side with a pensive look.K.S.Ravikumarji came in and handed over the lyric with a serious look and then they started to explain the theme of the song.how it was going to be picturised and on whom and what was the feel they were looking for...Then I came to know that there were english lyrics to be sung in the beginning and my mother being a writer for various projects and a song writer for many english albums,ventured to write the songs first 16 lines.
I was obviously on cloud number 9 but was still reeling under the pressure to perform well enough to be the final singer of the song... I heard the song and I was thrilled as it was a very interesting bollywood commercial dance song.I knew that I would do my best and my mother encouraged me saying that it did not matter what happened after this but right now I had to concentrate and bring out whatever talent I had and put my every ounce of effort to deliver the best result that no one can beat.That was what I needed to hear.I took a deep breath and said that I was ready to try a take...I did not think of anything except the song and what I could do to enhance every word.Then came Vairamuthuji in his signature white and white kurta pyjama.After pleasantries were shared between all of us he stayed on for a while to listen to the song and then left saying that this has to be a hit.It did feel great but I could not lose my concentration yet.Once Kamalji was sure the song was going on the right track he left.K.S.Ravikumarji was there throughout to tell me how he wanted it and then the song was done...
Everybody liked it and said the song was great but I could never bring myself to be thrilled as nobody knew what was to happen to the song next.
A year and a half went by with many rumours doing the rounds and me in constant anticipation of what was to be...
Then I get a call out of the blue saying I had to fly to Bombay to record the Hindi and Telugu versions of my song from Dasavatharam.My excitement knew no bounds.Now I was thrilled to say the least! This was the best thing I had heard and I was ecstatic but then i calmed down and realized that this was going to be a big break for me in Hindi and Telugu and I had to focus on getting the same feel and vocals that I had done almost two years back! Due to time constraints Hariharanji and myself recorded the songs in Kodhandapani (SPBjis studio) theatre itself and all was done... Now the wait for the release of the much awaited album happened with many rumoured dates and constant anticipation.
Then finally I get a call stating the release was actually happening by Then I see my name in the Times of India newspaer stating my name in the list of those who have rendered their voices for Dasavatharam.I was very happy to see my name alongside the likes of Kamalji himself,Hariharanji,Himeshji,Mahalkshmi Iyer and Sadhana Sargam.
And I had to share my experiences with all of you...

Do let me know what you think when you listen to it.

38 comments:

Arun Sundar said...

Thats awesome. I'll listen and would post my comments.

Vijay Krishnan said...

looong time back i'm looking all your updates of blog and yeah ur blog had taken a different shade.nice to see this :) and singing for a biggest movie is really a gr8 thing. coz we will be pointed out by all the big shots....and u must be feeling the air beneath ur feet now.ha ha!! nice to know and i just listened to it....it was nicely sung. prayers and wishes for your big break in Tollywood and Bollywood. Let you be flooded with more and more offers!! cheers!! TC.

The Maverick Blog said...

Shalini, I am silent reader of ur blogs (until now)... I listened to the song... I personally did not like it (Sorry if it was too harsh)... Ur voice was rocking (as usual) though!

I personally thought Himesh was a bad choice for a film like Dhasavatharam... Any way, I'll be more than happy if the music is a hit!

whAt A LiFe said...

Wow, another musical treat for us. :)

SHALINI said...

thanks all of you! And yes,I most certainly am on cloud 9! Just the fact that I got an opportunity to sing in the biggest film , has really got me quite excited.
Im glad 3 out of 4 of you like it. Everybody has their likes and dislikes and I appreciate that. Hopefully more good songs come my way and all my friends get to like it.
Thanks for all your support!

Krishnan said...

this song is very well sung ... difficult to sing esp. with your *heart* merging with it... good rendition... by the way if u could tell us as a singer how do u rate Kamal (in singing skills)... his "o o sanam" is class, isn't it

SHALINI said...

Thanks alot Krishnan!
Kamalji has a style of his own.I personally love Sundari neeyum,Inji idipazhagaa,hey Ram,etc etc...He is very soulful in his singing.Oh Oh Sanam according to me is a good rendition and he has done justice to the composition.

PreethZzZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PreethZzZ said...

Oh wow... Awesome post... First time here... I soo feel I was there when it all happened... Love the way you've narrated it... I really wanted to be a playback singer when I was younger... I have had glimpses into how it is.. The highs and lows... Overall exciting though!

Shall listen to the song shortly... Hahaha you know what... I realised they had the audio release function, but it never struck me to go check out the audio! Eagerly anticipating the movie release though! :-)

and oh yeah... Congrats for your big break!!! Hopefully you can take your career to great heights in those industries as well! :)

SHALINI said...

Hey Preethi!
Thanks for the comments.Hope that you rekindle your tryst with filmdom and music!My best wishes!

Saran said...

omg shalini !!!! you jus rocked in that song!! I truly liked it...admire ur voice n the versatile in it!!!!! I just loved it.... All the best for more successes!

your great fan!

SHALINI said...

thanks alot for your comments saran!
REally appreciate everyones comments.Very very uplifting!
thanks everybody...

SanJai said...

//Here's to all who have been waiting for Dasavatharam.As all of you might know its releasing on april 25th,this friday!//

hehe.. today is May 25, 2008...the release date is yet to be finalized :(.. as a kamal fan i m very eager to watch this movie...

.. excuse me shalu.. please try to remove the word verification option..

SHALINI said...

Haha funny indeed...Surething

Prasanna said...

thats awesome..the way you narrated the whole thing is superb.all the best Shalini ! keep rocking..

Anonymous said...

Shalini - I have been listening to this song over and over for the last few days.. They distributed the audion CD along with the movie ticket in US ...

I got to tell you this one mind boggling song.. I started googling to know more about you after this and thats how I landed in your blog.. all the best for your projects and looking forward to your next song..

Anonymous said...

Shalini - I have been listening to this song over and over for the last few days.. They distributed the audion CD along with the movie ticket in US ...

I got to tell you this one mind boggling song.. I started googling to know more about you after this and thats how I landed in your blog.. all the best for your projects and looking forward to your next song..

SHALINI said...

Thanks prasanna!
Appreciate it...

SHALINI said...

Thats really nice to know anon.
Very thrilled you like it.
Lots of stuff in the pipeline will let you know when its out...
Thanks!

Shyam said...

Shalini, watched dasavadaram on big screen. Kaa Karupanukhum song was jus awesome -i mean ur voice was more pleasant on the screen. wow! u have some amazing talent. The music director had the best choice of voice for tht song. Keep up. Pls do write more of ur happenings on ur blog, keep it updated. im a regular visitor of ur blog. All de best.

Shyam

mmuurrllyy said...

wow..i never thought that i can find ur blog :p
ur voice rocks

btw...can i do a online interview with u?
i blog about famous people...u r famous?

if u interested, i will mail u the questions...

Riyaz said...

Hi Shalini.... I have no words to say other than "SUPERB".....
Really really nice track. I'm under a happines of listening to such a wonderful track mixed in english n tamil. Keep it up. All the best.

SHALINI said...

thanks Shyam.I will try to update my blog often.I just have time these days to check my mail and comment but I like to take more time to write.Will surely update soon.thamks.

SHALINI said...

Hi mmurly and thanks for the comments I would definitely be interested in the interview.
you can mail me the questionairre.
Keep in touch.

SHALINI said...

Hi there riyaz.Thanks for the comments.appreciate it!

Vasanthan said...

the song was awesome!

Paari said...

Very few songs send the blood rushing into the head...you know what, I could actually feel it happen when I heard this one. Is that what is called mind blowing? Awesome would be a gross understatement. The lushness in your voice is simply breathtaking. The gushing sensuality is unbelivable. A real soul tugger. Dont think anyone else could ve brought it to life as much as you have. The song is on continuous loop on my player. You rock. Big time.

Suzanne said...

Hi there Shalini

I very glad to meet you here in blog. I really love your voice in Unnale Unnale. GOsh you are so blessed and may the Almighty's Blessing be with always

SHALINI said...

THanks alot you guys! Im just so thrilled you all like it so much.
Appreciate it big time :-)
CHeers!!!

Maddy said...

Thanks for letting us know the making of the song. I listen to your song. Its really good.You left your mark there.

I think it is time for your next blog, I mean after your songs blog.All the best!!

Arul Prasad said...

hey hey!

i've played that song over and over atleast like 40 - 50 times now, and I never realized that Shalini Singh was the same Shalini:P Except for the opening sequence of the song, I like the rest of it. so I end up skipping the first few seconds of the track.


Are u coming for this yr's Salaam india event? I just got a advt mail from the organizers about the same..

Anonymous said...

Waav! Really Superb!
Have not much knowledge of new Tamil cine songs. But this particular song made me search the net to find the singer's name and know more. Really great! My daughter and I were really thrilled to listen to the song.

Awaiting more such songs from you.

Loganayagi said...

Hi Shalini,

My first job is to locate the singers of any track which mesmerizes me towards it and all my choices are very selective. One among them is your latest hit i.e. Dasavatharam song. First I saw the movie, and then listened to the album.

The voice is so compatible with the performance of Mallika Sherawat.

We wish you bring us joy by presenting more songs like that of Kakka Kakka, Dasavatharam and many other hits.

Best wishes,
Durga

Poornima said...

Wow Shalini...u hav done it again...
and the magic has worked this time too.......
I simply loveed the song..n ur voice added to its beauty :)

வால்பையன் said...

உங்களுக்கு தமிழ் படிக்கவருமா?
எனக்கு ஆங்கிலம் படிக்க வெறும் ஆனால் கிராமாடிக்களாக எழுத வராது
பதில் சொல்லுங்க ச்சாட்டலாம்

jai said...

iam hearing the song bfore long days back from the film release date,,,but now only i came to know that u had rendered this song,,,ooh my godness wat a style,its fantastic,,the words bounces so much and its a real treat to listen,,,cheers,,,

Georgina For You said...

English lyrics for her song in Dasavadharam....I wrote those lyrics in 10 minutes flat because everyone were ready to record her at the studios. It was a good experience for both of us. My blessings and encouragement will always be there no matter what...

Love you

Mama

Georgina For You said...

'Dasavadharam' was a great break for my daughter Shalini. I remember how tense she was at the recording with Kamal and Vairamuthu Sir present at the recording. I encouraged her saying that it is doing your best that counts and God will take care of the rest. She put her heart and soul into the song which came out so well. I am proud to have written the English lyrics for her song which she carried off very well.

I pray to God that she continues to sing and cheer her fans for years to come. Rome was not built in a day and what you see of Shalini now is loves labour of her mother who always encouraged her against all odds...

Love you,

Mama

Search This Blog