Yesterday I was driving down to Egmore on some work and stopped by the signal near Ampa Skywalk.There was this beggar who was standing in the Chennai heat and begging everyone who kept turning him down and it seemed that he would dehydrate and fall down any second. I felt so sorry for him that I decided to give him 50 rupees as opposed to the usual 10/- that I give to the younger beggars.Then the most strangest thing happened, he showed me an ICICI ATM payment advice of Rs.5000 and then showed his torn shirt and said that someone robbed him of his money that he drew and HE EXPECTED ME TO GIVE HIM THAT MUCH MONEY!!! I was mortified!! How on earth do people come up with such ridiculous situations??!!

6 comments:

A.Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A.Jay said...

lmao..Used to be so naive years back but now i do hv my reality checks No More feeling sorry for beggars. id rather give donations to blind school n orphanage rather than these brats :)

Anonymous said...

That 50Rs. note has written his name seems...

Arul Prasad said...

Ha!

Reminds me this one incident that happened about a year after the tsunami struck. I was living in Bangalore back then, and this lady came knocking the door, and started telling me stories of how she got affected by the tsunami, and how everyone but her from her family were washed away by the waves. She said she was from Nagapattinam, but the only problem, she barely spoke Tamil. I kept quizzing her and she went on to say Kanyakumari is a 2 rupee bus ride from Nagapattinam. Me being from Kanyakumari didn't help her either :P

But it got me wondering how many people had fallen for her sob stories.

Siva Shankaran said...

hey, do not encourage beggary if they are "able" .. u very well know its not in anyway helpful to them - able or challenged.. it jus goes to the pockets of those who employ them!! u jus encourage them to beg more!

But some wish u whole heartedly, thats something nice to hear "nee, nalla irakanum ma" ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Search This Blog